Saturday, April 19, 2014

7 Layer Salad

Just got done making my most favorite salad to bring to Easter dinner tomorrow and figured I would share the recipe ! This salad is a family favorite of ours, we have it at so many get togethers and everyone looooves it.Its a pain in the ass to make, and when you add the homemade dressing, along with the bacon and cheese its really not that healthy...but it is totally worth it ;) promise. Here is the recipe..

You will need:

-1 medium head lettuce, torn ( I cheat and get a bag of romaine ;))
-1 cup minced fresh parsley 
-4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
-2 large tomatoes, chopped
-1 package (10 oz) frozen peas, thawed and patted dry
-6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled ( but if you want to add more I won't tell) 
-1 cup ( 4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-1 small red onion, chopped

Dressing:

-1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1 teaspoon dill weed ( I use WAY more..just keep adding until you like the taste)
-3/4 teaspoon dried basil ( again.. I don't measure I just eyeball until I like the taste)
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon pepper


1) In a large glass salad bowl ( you'll want to see the pretty layers!) , layer the lettuce, parsley, eggs, tomatoes, peas, bacon, cheese, and onion in the order listed.

2) In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, basil, salt and pepper. Carefully spread on top of salad ( try to start around the edges so the dressing can seep down )

3) Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. 

Yield: 12 servings






No comments:

Post a Comment